A mostly preparatory weekend

Almost ready to sail up to Langkawi.  We spent most of the weekend at the boat cleaning, organizing, and tying up loose ends.  The dockbox finally got emptied out after a year and a half of accumulation of random stuff.  Thanks to Charlene’s iron fist a lot of it went right in the trash.  Together we make a good team when it comes to throwing stuff out: we both eye each other’s “this might be useful in the future” items dispassionately and force each other to downsize.

I’m still carrying quite a load of cargo up to Malaysia: there are a lot of things I haven’t gotten around to installing yet here in Singapore that I’m hoping to get done there or in Phuket.  The V-berth will be full of teak and solar panels while we’re sailing; maybe a bunch of spare polycarbonate glass too unless I can find some way to offload that here.  It’s worth a bit too much to throw away.

Last week I picked up all the fire extinguishers from servicing.  The big Halon extinguisher needed a refill.  Technically new Halon is outlawed but there are some shops that recycle it.  It really seems like the best extinguishing agent to have around your engine anyway, so I’m glad I was able to get the unit serviced instead of replaced:

I confirmed with Beta Marine that the engine is scheduled for delivery in Langkawi this week, either Monday or Tuesday.  I’ll refrain from celebrating until I’ve verified it’s arrival.

There are a couple lovely powerboats — sister vessels from the US, both Nordhavn 62s — in One 15 right now.  Here is the Grey Pearl, just off my bow:

And here is the Seabird, just off my starboard quarter:

As it happens, these vessels have basically just done the reverse of the trip we’re planning.  If I can find some time, I’ll wander over for a chat.

After seeing some of the Indonesian dockhands fishing from the docks, catching and cooking dinner almost every day (and breakfast and lunch too, often enough), we finally decided to grab a fishing line and give it a go ourselves.  I don’t think we are quite as capable fishermen, sadly, and all our efforts resulted in naught.  It was fun, anyway:

I am planning to pick up some good heavy line and trolling lures.  I can’t think of any excuse not to — trolling is cheap and (relatively) easy.

Sunday, Wayne and his family came by to go over the boat and our route to Langkawi.  They brought along some tasty mutton curry and naan.  As it turns out naan is pretty easy to make and doesn’t need an oven.  We’re adding it to our cruising recipe book.  I have also been on the lookout for a pressure cooker after hearing Rachel’s recommendation.  So far the cheapest one I’ve seen was S$330 (~US$260), but I have a few leads to follow on cheaper ones.  Wayne and family showed us their thermal cooker, which is a different concept: slow cooking, but no energy use after initially boiling water.  I think it’s probably a bit more limited in what it can cook than a pressure cooker, but I can imagine boiling water in the morning for coffee or oatmeal or something, pouring the extra water in the thermal cooker, and having hot rice ready for lunch.  Tough decision.

After Wayne and co left, I found myself digging around in a cockpit locker and decided to do some work on the autopilot.  I greased the drive chain, and then tried to get NMEA compass data, for use in aligning radar imagery, out of the drive unit.  Turns out the headers for those NMEA lines are inside the unit, so I had to dismantle the whole autopilot to wire it up:

The only way to test it was to get everything put back together and in place.  Sadly, no compass data was forthcoming.  I’ll have to debug that a little more this week.

Lastly, here’s a nice photo of Oia I took Friday.  Not much longer till she sails away from M3 at One 15 for good.

Leave a Comment

Filed under electrical, electronics, galley, general, liveaboard, maintenance, photos, planning

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *